There are cheap shed plans that allow you to make a shed without spending a lot of money. After looking through the cheap shed plans you have found here or in books, you should now buy the materials you need. Visit your local home centers to find the materials for the shed. Here are some tips to help you make an affordable shed.
- A wood foundation is more affordable than a concrete slab. It is also easier to build on areas that are difficult to access or places that slope.
- Siding panels that are constructed from oriented strand boards are more affordable than plywood or solid wood panels. These panels are structural, so you don’t have to add extra layers of sheathing underneath the siding.
- You can also use an affordable custom door. It may not be as weather-tight as a pre-hung exterior door, but it looks like a luxurious custom wooden door without spending a lot of money.
- Composite is more affordable than solid wood and comes pre-primed, so you can paint it right away. It can hold paint longer and better than exterior wood.
- Arch-top windows allow you to mimic the appearance of an expensive window without the cost. You can build these windows using materials that can be easily found at various home centers.
There are various ways to build your shed such as the panelized construction method. You will build parts of the shed in the garage on a rainy weekend then bring them to the site for assembly. Building the windows and doors on your own can also help you save money. With the wood platform foundation and modular construction, you can build the shed anywhere. You will need standard carpentry tools such as a power miter saw, router, table saw and circular saw.
If you have a helper, you may be able to finish the shell and platform in 2 or 3 days. You may need to spend 4 or 5 more days completing the other parts of the shed including the windows, roofing, siding, doors and trim. It is best that you visit the building department in your area several weeks before you start building your shed to see whether or not you need a permit.